Attaching the Winch Snatch Block
Snatch blocks are designed to attach to the cable without having to remove the load or take apart the pulley. Just open up the side plate by rotating it, then attach the block to the cable.
Setting Up a Single Line Pull with Snatch Block
To straighten out a pull or to route the winch rope around an object:
- Attach the snatch block to an anchor point in a straight line with the winch.
- Then attach the other end of the cable to the load (if winching out another vehicle) or to a solid anchor point (if recovering your own vehicle).
- Use a tree strap or chain to secure the snatch block to the anchor point. Do not wrap a chain around a tree; use a tree strap to prevent damage to the tree.
Setting Up a Double Line Pull with Snatch Block
To double the line for more winch power or to spool out more cable when the anchor point is too close to the vehicle:
- Attach the snatch block to the cable.
- Then freespool the cable out to the anchor point.
- Attach the snatch block to the anchor point with a tree strap or chain.
- Then attach the end of the cable to a solid mounting point on the frame of the vehicle for self recovery.
Snatch Block Ratings
Remember that a double line pull places double the stress on your mounting points, cable, and winch tools. Make sure all tools, including the snatch block, are rated to double the winch capacity if you plan on pulling the maximum load.