Your snatch block may be a simple enough looking piece of equipment but this handy tool can be a great lifesaver that greatly improves the effectiveness of your winch. As one of the most useful accessories for your winch, a snatch block can double your pulling power and easily help with an angled pull. Here we’ll take a look at some situations where a snatch block will come in extra handy.
Top 5 Snatch Block Uses
1. For Self-Recovery – Because of the snatch blocks simple design you can set it up to perform a double-line pull on your own vehicle. This works by redirecting the winch cable back towards the winch. For a self-recovery, you’d simple run the cable back through the snatch block then back to your vehicle, attached to an anchor spot directly in front of your vehicle.
2. Moving a Larger Vehicle – If you are in a situation where your winch is needed to help move another, larger vehicle you can attach the snatch block to this vehicle. Set up the winch cable to go through the snatch block then back to an anchor point near your vehicle. This anchor point helps take some of the strain off of your vehicle to ease some of the strain of recovering a heavier rig.
3. You’re Stuck in Deep Mud – Because your snatch block essentially acts as a pulley, it can help to pull you out of even the toughest situations. By simply redirecting your cable to a new anchor you can easily pull your ATV or other vehicle out of a sticky situation by providing an angled pull with double the pulling power.
4. More Pulling Power Needed – There may be the occasional situation when the use of more than one snatch block is needed to recover a vehicle. When you use a double-sheave snatch block combined with a traditional single-pulley block that can be found in most winch accessory kits, you can turn a potential disastrous job into a a quick and simple recovery.
5. Heavy Duty Winching – Utilizing the extra power a snatch block gives your winch can make a 16,00 pound load feel like 5,000 for your winch. This potential pulling power makes your vehicle and your winch nearly unstoppable. Your snatch block will not only make recoveries faster and easier but also help to reduce heat build up and amp draw.
Sources: http://blog.promarkoffroad.com/2013/08/20/6-must-have-winch-accessories-for-atvs/; http://www.propickupmag.com/winch-pulling-power/; http://www.gowarn.com/warn-winches/winch-tips.aspx